The Music Business Seminar Series has been a mainstay of the William Paterson University Music Management program for 30 years. Upcoming guests include Julie Greenwald, Chairman/COO of the Atlantic Records Group. Past guests include Tommy Page of Pandora, Joan Jett manager Kenny Laguna, and Vevo head of marketing Doug McVehil.
In the seminar below, former record company president (Atlantic Records and Mercury Records/founder of Artemis Records), artist manager (Nirvana, Hole, Beastie Boys), public relations man and journalist/writer Danny Goldberg talks about:
- His book “Bumping into Geniuses”
- What he looks for in an artist
- His relationship with Led Zeppelin
- Why he decided to write the book
- His college experience and first job as a trade journalist
- The power of the artist in the music business
- The inspiration for the book’s title
- His mentors
- His documentary film “No Nukes”
- His biggest accomplishment
- His impressions of Kurt Cobain
- How to break into the industry
- The role of record labels
- 360 deals
Click, watch, and listen.
(Video) Music Business Seminar Series: Label Head & Artist Manager Danny Goldberg
Professor David Philp is Assistant Professor Music Management & Popular Music Studies at William Paterson University. He is the co-host of the only FREE advice college radio-based music & entertainment industry talk show in America, Music Biz 101 & More, which airs live most Wednesday nights and is available as a podcast HERE every night (days too). Reach him at PhilpD@wpunj.edu or find him on LinkedIn HERE.