Ally Mac Project Wins Music Biz 101 & More Theme Song Contest
For Immediate Release (or as soon as you can get to it):
December 19, 2014
William Paterson University’s own Ally Mac Project has won the Music Biz 101 & More Theme Song Contest. The competition was fierce; entries were received from as far away as Texas. But the five-human voting committee, made up of Music Biz 101 & More radio show co-hosts Dr. Steve Marcone and Professor David Philp, show producer Phillip Gorokhovsky, and WPSC: Brave New Radio Program Director Sebastian Escobar and Music Director Eric Dolan, shunned bribes, payoffs, and kickbacks and made their decision public during the December 17 live broadcast on WPSC: Brave New Radio.
There were four arguments, three fist-fights, two food fights, and one jello wrestling match. Then the five hombres turned off Spike TV and got down to work by listening to all of the entries multiple times.
The Ally Mac Project won for their song entry called “The World Is Ours.” Want to hear some of the song and watch some video that explains more about it? Just click below:
Honorable Mention – Tim Gysin
Tim Gysin, another William Paterson Popular Music Major, won a special unplanned Honorable Mention for his Music Biz 101 & More jingle, which will be played during every episode of the radio show in 2015.
Tim is ultra-talented. Here’s a lyric video for his song “Hang On” so you can get a sense of what he’s all about:
BUT THE ALLY MAC PROJECT WON
Yes, they did. What do they get?
- Their music WILL get on to the #1 college radio station in the United States, WPSC: Brave New Radio. Besides their theme song ringing in the ears of our radio show & podcast listeners all over the world (yes, we have listeners from other countries not just named Canada) for at least a year, they’ll also get this…
- Their best song will air in rotation on WPSC-FM for a month. They’ll be a Brave New Artist for a month on Brave New Radio. You should know it’s not easy to get original, unsigned music on college radio. Just ask the head of WPSC, Rob Quicke. You can hear him talk about the difficulties for artists to get their music heard on his station HERE.
That one last point is a big deal. I think we’ll put it in the Heading 1 font:
Their best song will air in rotation on WPSC-FM for a month.
But wait – there’s more! Catch out these additional, FREE bullet points:
- The Ally Mac Project will receive a (minimum) 15-minute block of WPSC: Brave New Radio time during the 7pm-8pm Phillip Gorokhovsky show on January 14. Our man Phillip will interview Ally and the gang and play 2 or 3 of their best songs on the air. Did you read that right? Big font again:
The Ally Mac Project will receive a (minimum) 15-minute block of WPSC: Brave New Radio time during the 7pm-8pm Phillip Gorokhovsky show.
But wait – there’s more!
- The Ally Mac Project will be the guest host of the first 2015 Music Biz 101 & More Radio Show on January 14. Tune in that night to hear stories from the independent life of guest Lauren Marsh. And Allison McKenzie will also be on hand to ask questions and tell her own story.
- As the winner, the Ally Mac Project will also receive On Air credits each week at the start and end of each show:
Our theme song was composed by…
But wait – there’s more! The Ally Mac Project will also receive:
- A congratulatory email lauding the Ally Mac Project to the Music Biz 101 & More mailing list.
- Their picture on the Music Biz 101 Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages.
- A custom (but very simple) YouTube video of their song posted on the Music Biz 101 YouTube Page.
- Last, but maybe not least, there’s this:
- When they get their song onto Spotify (via CD Baby, TuneCore, or the service of your choice), we’ll include it as the first and last song on our Music Biz 101 & More Spotify Playlist. Scroll down to listen.
Take a moment and reach out to Allison and the Ally Mac Project on Twitter: @allymacmusic
The Ally Mac Project is made up of
- Eric Zolan – Guitar (WP Jazz Performance major)
- Kendall Haskins – Bass (WP Jazz Education major)
- Malcolm Pope – Keyboard
- Errold Lanier, Jr. – Drums (WP Jazz Performance major)
Congratulations Allison, Tim Gysin, and bandmates!
To all of you who entered, we thank you for your efforts and sincerely hope you were able to learn something from the whole process.
Professor David Philp is Assistant Professor Music Management & Popular Music Studies at William Paterson University. He is the co-host of the only FREE advice college radio-based music & entertainment industry talk show in America, Music Biz 101 & More, which airs live most Wednesday nights and is available as a podcast HERE every night (days too). Reach him at PhilpD@wpunj.edu or find him on LinkedIn HERE.